We celebrated with Jason's family this year...well, most of them. His parents had pneumoia, and so obviously we didn't stop by their house. Henry and Jane both got colds, so in some ways, it wasn't a very relaxing break for us (sick kids means not much sleep for anyone), but compared to the craziness of last year's Thanksgiving (wedding prep, my 10 year reunion, Dana's wedding) it was a breeze. Besides driving up to Livonia (near Detroit), we just chilled around the house.
So, on Thanksgiving, we visited the temple first. This was the first time Henry and Jane have gone. It was closed, so we couldn't go in, but there's just something about being on the grounds, even when you can't go in that's special. And, it's such a beautiful building. I nursed Jane while Henry and Jason explored. (I can't figure out how to get these pictures next to eachother, so they are set up kinda weird.)
Henry really just wanted to play in the dirt and bushes, but held on for the picture...
until it was my turn with the kids, then he was done. Oh well.
Time to go..."Over the river and through the woods, to Grandfather's house we go..."I made the desserts, and they turned out GREAT! Not to brag or anything, but I keep working at cooking and baking, and get so excited when things turn out yummy. I feel like I'm one step closer to being able to say with confidence "I can cook/bake." It's just a wonderful feeling to discover/earn new talents. I was so happy! I have apparently been dubbed the 'dessert maker' for all big family events now. I made 1 pumpkin, 1 apple, and one pan of carmel apple cheesecake bars (from scratch if I might add). :)
The apple cut out is something my mom taught me. It just makes it look cuter.
These are to die for-SO delicious! I've never made them for anyone who hasn't pleaded for the recipe afterwards. So, if you want to take a gamble and ask without having tried them first, let me know.
After quite a few attempts at getting a good picture, we settled with this one. Trying to smile nice for the camera while wrestling with a toddler and trying to hold up the baby without the wiggly toddler knocking her over proves a tad bit difficult. You know what I mean? Henry was obviously enjoying this little game. :)
The night ended with a fabulous game of Yahtzee, a Thomas family tradition I found out. They just keep playing it until 1 person is the Yahtzee Champ! (The person with the lowest score each round gets eliminated). It was a fun end to the night. And personally, I was grateful to not have to watch the football game all day. No matter how many times I've tried, I just can't get into watching sports on TV, unless they are the olympics, or dancing, and then I'm hooked.
Oh, I'm going to need the recipe for those caramel apple bars... :)
ReplyDelete