So for anyone else who has bought off of craislist or has sold something on craiglist...Here are some of our experiences with it, ending with the weirdest, creepiest yet. "Stay tuned" to find out.
+Jason found his roommate Ryan on it when he moved out to AZ to teach 2nd grade. He turned out to be a great rm and we're still friends. He actually came over last week to meet Henry and visit. :)
-I found an awesome tv on it for a cheap price, got in contact with the family to buy it, and drove 45 min. away (with Jason and Ryan) to purchase it, and when we got there, and wanted to make sure it worked, she mysteriously couldn't get it to turn on. But apparently it was working before. Right. She said that her husband could fix it and since he worked up near us, could meet us up here and we could buy it then. We drove all the way home, to call her later when we didn't hear from her, to find out that he did indeed fix it, and she sold it to someone else. LAME>there's a little more to the story-but that's the short of it.
+(should've used cragslist) Jason sold his couch and end tables to a member of a previous ward, through another member of a different previous ward who had a truck(who shall go nameless). We'll call the middle-man 'thief.' Thief was going to help us out (Jason offered to pay for gas and such). Thief took the money (A LOT) from the guy who bought the couch, that he was supposed to give to Jason, and kept it and spent it. Jason found out after he has reportedly spent it, and didn't have any $ to make up for it. Yah, Jason never got paid for the couch and end tables that he sold. He SHOULD'VE gone through craiglist. And what kind of mormon was that guy-NOT a good one. Loser.
+Jason bought tons of center folder learning games for the classroom, which he shared with me. My students LOVED them! They learned and exercised knowledge in a fun way and did much better on their dumb district tests.
-/+ (-for us, + for someone else) I sold our Bala Sharks on it. They were getting too big for the tank. We had 3 gorgeous ones that we had already had for a year, and they were very strong and healthy (2 males, 1 female-that we called the 3 musketeers)that were 5-6 inches. On craigslist you aren't allowed to technically 'sell' pets, but you can ask for small re-homing fees. Many people ask for large 're-homing fees.' But I didn't think of it. I asked for $2 each, only to find out, that they were worth FAR MORE than that! I could've asked for at least, $10 each, at least. Oops. Guess we got jipped, and it was my own fault. I was wondering why so many people called so quickly, and that they were surprised to learn that I was asking $6 for all 3, instead of $6 each. Oops again. So, those ladies that took them were very happy to have found such a deal. :)
-Just recently, I put up bottles, nipples, formula, breast pumps and such on there. We got SO many from the hospital (our 2nd trip), and are not going to use them. Well, lest you think I'm bad for asking $ for something we didn't actually pay for, they do have worth, and after that bill from taking Henry to the ER (which resulting in an IV, an ambulance ride, a overnight at the PHX children's hospital, etc...when he was just 2 weeks old) we have quite the bills to pay. I figure that we kinda did pay for them with how much we owe. It would've been great if they had just tested him for reflux, which is what they thought he had, and what he does have (not pyloric stinosis). So we need all the help we can get. I'm breastfeeding, and we have a lot of extra stuff that we'll never use. We don't want to throw it away, but don't want all of it sitting around anymore. Anyway, so we thought we'd sell it on craigslist for low negotiable prices.......weird creepy music......I get a phone call yesterday, that sounded like a telemarketer (you know what I mean, how there's no sound for a couple seconds until you say something). This lady with a funny accent, speaking kind of quietly, says she's replying to the ad. Ok. Yah, then she tells me she's from Fox 10 news. She wants to know if they can post my ad on their site. I say I'm not interested. (I'm thinking she wants to do a story on it or something.) She tries to convince me to do it, ending with "It won't cost you anything for us to put it there." I interupt her shpeal (how do you spell that?) to tell her that I'm really not interested and goodbye. Afterwards, being creeped out (you had to hear this lady unfortunately to totally understand the creepiness) I quickly got on my e-mail and deleted the ad. From now on, I will NEVER put my phone # on there. I suggest you don't either.
I'm sure you have your own stories with craigslist. Feel free to share. :)
I've luckily only had good experiences - buying and selling, mostly baby stuff: cloth diapers (buying and selling as I figured out what I liked), baby gear (selling some I got for free-so don't feel bad for selling it!, and mostly buying - because why pay store prices?!), and today I'm going to pick up a wagon!
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I often advertise job openings for my program as they are open, and while I have found many people through CL, I also get TONS of nonrelevant resumes, which drives me nuts!
I've of course had the experience where people say they are interested and don't show up, or some weird company contacts you about your stuff and acts all sketchy - annoying.
ReplyDeleteAnd I've gotten screwed by a guy who told me he'd sell me someething, then went and sold it to someone else 30 minutes before I was supposed to come buy it - jerk.
We have had pretty much all good things from Craigslist and we use it all the time. We bought a used hiking baby carrier in great condition for a third of the cost of a new one and have used it a ton. I got snowboard boots for only $10. We often list things for free just to avoid having to pay the fee at the dump, like a falling apart picnic table and when we tore out our deck people just came and took the old wood, it was great! Ryan sold his winter coat on there and we sold our car there, too! That sucks you haven't had all good experiences... if only we could get our old dining table to sell, it's been listed forever!
ReplyDelete