This is my class my 2nd year teaching. Seraphim is the one with long blonde hair, 3rd row back, 2nd in from the left with a blue shirt on.
I know that I am making the right decision to stay at home and raise my kids. And not just the right decision, but a good one. I wouldn't want to miss those times when he smiles, and when he rolls over, crawls and walks for the first time. I wouldn't want to miss being the one to comfort him when he's sad, to be able to nurse him and hold him sleeping and just watch him grow more and develop more each day. I don't want to put the responsibility and enjoyment of raising him and teaching him into someone else hands. I want to be there for him, and any other children that we have. I'm his mom, and no day care or babysitter can replace that. But I also have this part of me that's envious of my husband, who has all these experiences at school still, while that part of my life has ended. I keep reminding myself that I'm so blessed to have been able to experience teaching for 2 years. I know so many people who didn't even graduate college after they got married. Or they graduated, but never got to experience what they majored in. I am SO blessed to have been able to teach the years that I did. I'll never forget those times, nor the kids. It was also such a great feeling to be able to support myself. And I know that the experiences I had will only make me a better mom, wife and person. It's just that when all of a sudden my life feels like it consists of changing diapers, hursing, rocking to sleep, changing diapers, nursing, bouncing to sleep, changing diapers...well, you get the picture, I long for days that I felt fulfilled. That sounds horrible when put like that. And that's not all that happens in my days, but sometimes it feels like that. Yesterday I tried to change my attitude by instead of thinking of it as, "oh, gotta change a dirty diaper again," I thought of "I'll take care of you and make you comfortable and feel good again. I know sitting in my own waste would make me grouchy too." Well, something like that anyway. Maybe I'm just feeling like the grass is greener on the other side. But I know that teaching is no picnic. It's really hard. And there were days that I hated it (Thank you Tiwon, Tyler, Richard, Courtney...) That's just part of everything you'll do in life. There are good days and bad days.
I'm not disappointed staying at home. It's just hard. Harder than I thought. I just feel underused some days. I feel like I have so much to contribute, and some days lately I feel like a diaper changer. I know that that's silly, but I still feel like that some days. Has anyone else felt like this?? Am I just ungrateful?
I am glad to be a mom. I love Henry so much. He is a huge blessing. I mean, right now he is just so precious. He's laying beside me on the couch just sucking on his pacifier, happy as a clam. He's all bundled up in a blue afghan that my mom crocheted. His little arms and hands are up around his face and it is just too cute. I love these moments. I love playing with him. Here's the video I made yesterday. I'm happy that I get to have these moments.
Ug. I don't know what I'm really trying to say. Sometimes it's so hard to communicate what you want to. I'll just be brave and post this and hope that you don't think less of me.
No, we don't think anything less of you...and it's very very natural and normal to feel like there is a void with a baby. It's true! There is! Suddenly your perspective of "fulfillment" and "satisfaction" changes....not necessarily bad but raising a child is MUCH harder and a LONGER process than just teaching a child. Suddenly you can't measure "success" on a day by day basis...you have longer increments. But I promise it is all worth it! And you will love every accomplishment you help create in Henry! (You know all this...but I just want to reassure you that you aren't the only one who feels or has felt this way! I may not have actually taught my own classroom after graduating...but I have yearned to do "more" after a baby is born...and yet don't want to be anywhere else!) :) Hang in there! Find ways to serve from your home...the Lord will guide you if you ask!
ReplyDeleteLove ya! Love the video! :)
I absolutely loathe teaching butterfly! I can barely do it myself, let alone teach kids to do it! I'm really good and teaching Breastroke though. I've never had a kid not get it! We're great teachers! =D
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of moms feel like this, especially those who have worked, and especially in those beginning months when in honesty, there's not a lot going interactively with a baby (comparably). I work 2 days a week, and I love it. But sometimes I still feel guilty. On my first day back to work, Annabelle rolled over for the first time! Take that, mama! It made me really question myself. For us, I must work now, and PT lets us get by. It's a hard spot, too, though - because I'm not quite the same as all the FT working moms I associate with at work, and not the same as the SAHMs in playgroups and church... But thus is life. You will find your niche. Lots of SAHMs do crafty things to fill the void... And who knows, maybe someday you'll teach again - and then you'll probably long for the days when your 15 year old Henry was a baby!
ReplyDeleteSidenote: I never knew you taught swimming lessons! So did I, for many years - and have considered teaching a few church kids this summer. If you have access to a pool, that might be a way to feel fulfilled outside home...
#1) For sure I think that many women have felt this way. I had a bit of a rough time adjusting to being an at home mom after Josephine was born. For the last couple of years, I had been home with Maria during the summers and then back to school/work in the fall, so when the fall of 06 came, I was like "wait, am I really just going to keep being home? I'm not starting another semester? I just keep doing THIS?!" It was really depressing. All this time I couldn't wait to be done with school, and now I was depressed that I was all done and not going back - go figure. I think for sure the grass is always greener, but I will tell you, I do have more of an appreciation for being home since I did the whole working Mom thing while Maria was little. I got a taste of what it is like to hurry to drop you kid off somewhere, not see them all day (and be thinking all day of all the stuff you're missing), and then go get them just in time to have dinner and put them to bed. I did NOT like that. Is was chaos all the time, and I missed so much. There was never any dinner ready, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. So, even though it was a rough transition for me at first, I knew then and I know now that I would never have it any other way. You are a new Mom and you just need to find your groove. As he gets older, you will get more involved with school stuff, other hobbies, and once you add a couple of high-profile church callings in there and voila - your life will fill up pretty quickly! Every mom feels like you do from time to time, but just remember that NO ONE else can be Henry's Mom - only YOU can do that, and that's pretty dang special. You are caring for a child of God - some of it may seem mundane, but it's all important. And you do get to be a teacher - your children's teacher! And hey - someone needs to change his diapers, right? Technically, that'a an important job - good hygiene and all that. :)
ReplyDelete#2) that is an adorable video - it looks like Henry's pretty happy that his Mommy is home with him... :)
HEY AJ--this means that you are completely normal. Change is always difficult and takes time. I very much remember feeling the same way when I was a new mother. Some ideas to keep your mind moving when Henry is sleeping and you are not--work on your wedding album...learn how to do something new... do some family history...start reading all the American literay classics--you'd be amazed at how different they often are from the film adaptations... start now to make your Christmas gifts/cards...you get the idea. I'e always had some project going, and I always have book or two in my queue. <3 Mom
ReplyDelete