Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Final Baby Name Choices

So here's what we think are the finals for a boy or girl. Not that they couldn't change I guess from now until August, but for now, we are settled on these two.

For a boy: George Bruce Thomas
It's not the best in terms of 'flowage' but it has great meaning as a son would be named after 2 great grandpa's and 1 grandpa. It is Greek in origin and means 'tiller of soil.' Hard working. Cool. Bruce is Celtic for woods. It sounds really good with Henry too.

And to name a couple of other great great George's since some people are funny with the name:
George Washington (Best president ever!)
George Harrison (always my favorite beatle)
George Strait (king of country music)
George Ruth (one of the best baseball players of all time-and he did it withOUT steroids-he was a bit of a party boy-but no ones perfect)
Curious George-cool little monkey character
George McCann (awesome kid I used to babysit)
George Washington Carver (amazing scientist who came up with 40 some odd ways to use peanuts, other than in foods and is credited with the invention of PB today...the Mayans or some people had it, but it was just straight smashed peanuts with oil and wasn't the tastiest. George made PB yummy!)
George Albert Smith (great modern day prophet)
and the list goes on...

Here's for a girl: Jane ______ Thomas
We don't have a middle name set yet. Some middle name ideas floating around are Catherine, Elizabeth, and Mary. Jane is Hebrew and means gracious-also cool. There isn't family meaning behind this one necessarily, but we love it. It is simple, elegant, pretty and is old fashioned-which we both like. It's cute for a little girl, but sophisticated for an adult. It sounds great with Thomas, and with Henry too. We like the nickname Janie as well.

Some great Janes:
Jane Emig (my grandma-very talented artist and quite funny)
Jane Eyre (I LOVE her character...and funny as it is, she is very gracious)
Jane Austen (a superb author)
Jane Bennett (character in Pride and Prejudice-very good woman)
Jane Goodall (courageous scientist who studied gorillas-if you haven't seen Gorillas in the Mist, go rent it!)

Random funny thought-both of our name picks are the parents of the Jetsons (80's cartoon).

2 comments:

  1. I love both of those names! They both sound great with Henry and your last name. I'm a huge fan of George. I've known a lot of wonderful people named George. Jane is so sweet and simple and I love Janie as a nick name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Catherine - sounds so beautiful and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete